Photographs

Title

Photographs

Description

Located in the Local History Room, the New Haven Public Library's photograph collection contains black and white photographs ranging in date from the late 1800's to early 1960's. The photos mostly depict street scenes, buildings, and parks.

Click on the link below to see all of the scanned photos in this collection.

Items in the Photographs Collection

New Haven Green from the Corner of Church and Elm Streets, New Haven, Connecticut
A view of the New Haven Green. Center Church and the steeple of Trinity Church are visible in the background.

Brewster Building, New Haven, Connecticut
The Brewster Building, at the southeast corner of State and Chapel Streets. The clock tower of the railroad depot, designed by Henry Austin and completed in 1849, is visible on the left.

Political Banners Over Street, New Haven, Connecticut
Banners for James A. Garfield, Chester A. Arthur, Hobart B. Bigelow, and William H. Bulkeley hang over an unpaved street. One building has a marker reading "Cutler's Corner," which was at the southeast corner of Church and Chapel Streets.

Massena Clark House in Winter, New Haven, Connecticut
An Italianate house beyond a gate and stone wall. A handwritten note with the photo reads "The Massena Clark House, 474 Whitney Ave, built about 1860, c 1897."

New Haven Green, New Haven, Connecticut
View across the New Haven Green toward the Northeast. Handwritten below photo: "Temple Street. Kitchen end of the Bristol House." The Judge William Bristol House was constructed in 1803-1804 by David Hoadley, and razed to build the New Haven Freeā€¦

New Haven Free Public Library Lobby, New Haven, Connecticut, 1940
Students using the card catalog. Handwritten on reverse: "Miss Jerome aided by Dr. Sheridan instructing a high school class on the use of the catalog."

Trinity Lutheran Church, New Haven, Connecticut
Trinity Lutheran Church located at 292 Orange Street was built in approximately 1870 and is an example of High Victorian Gothic. It was designed by David R. Brown who worked with Henry Austin on the New Haven City Hall project.

Chapel Street, New Haven, Connecticut, 1883
A view of Chapel Street looking west from College Street. The second building on the left appears to be the Yale Dining Rooms and Restaurant.

Nathan Hale School, New Haven, Connecticut, 1926
Exterior view of Nathan Hale School at 480 Townsend Avenue. Handwritten on reverse: "Nathan Hale School. 1926. Branch library in the basement." The school is still there, but the branch library closed in 1990.

New Haven Free Public Library Reference Room, New Haven, Connecticut, 1926
A librarian and patron at the reference desk. On the eastern side of the building, this is now the Business Room.