New Haven Redevelopment Photos

Title

New Haven Redevelopment Photos

Description

In the late 1950's, New Haven began an extensive, federally funded redevelopment project aimed at eradicating blight and revitalizing the city. Entire blocks of residences and small businesses were razed to make way for new commercial buildings.

The Local History Room's photograph collection contains 52 images documenting this project. Most were taken by photographer Marion Haskell for the New Haven Redevelopment Agency, and show buildings and streets in the Church Street Redevelopment Area prior to redevelopment.

Our redevelopment photos are duplicates of some images in the New Haven Redevelopment Agency Photograph Collection at the New Haven Museum. They own the rights to these photos. We would like to extend our thanks to the Museum for allowing us to reproduce them here.

Click on the link below to see all of the scanned photos from this collection.

Items in the New Haven Redevelopment Photos Collection

Hotel Garde, New Haven, Connecticut, 1962
The Hotel Garde on Columbus Avenue, between Orange and Meadow Streets. A sign at the corner reads "GARDE/HOTEL/BAR/RESTAURANT;" and another reads "BAR/LUNCHETTE."

Hotel Garde, New Haven, Connecticut, 1962
The Hotel Garde on Columbus Avenue, between Orange and Meadow Streets. A Gulf station sign advertises gas at 27 cents a gallon.

Hotel Garde, New Haven, Connecticut, 1962
The Hotel Garde on Columbus Avenue, between Orange and Meadow Streets. A painted sign on the building reads "HOTEL GARDE/250 ROOMS."

Corner of Chapel and Temple Street, New Haven, Connecticut, 1963
The former Malley's Department Store building on the southeast corner of Chapel and Temple Streets.

Corner of Center Street and Gregson Alley, New Haven, Connecticut, 1963
A view of the Malley Department Store building from the intersection of Center Street and Gregson Alley.

Buses at the corner of Chapel Street and Temple Street, New Haven, Connecticut, 1959
Buses wait at the intersection of Temple and Chapel. Pedestrians are on the sidewalk. Malley's Department Store, decorated for Christmas, is in the background.

West Side of Church Street, Between Center and Chapel, New Haven, Connecticut, 1960
The west side of Church Street, showing Waldorf Cafeteria in the center. A sign faintly reading "LIP'S" is over the door on the building to the right.

West Side of Church Street, Between Center and Chapel, New Haven, Connecticut
The west side of Church Street. Savitt Jewelers and Snyder's Men's Store are visible. A partly demolished building is in the background.

West Side of Church Street, Between Center and Chapel, New Haven, Connecticut
The west side of Church Street, showing stores with signs reading "SAVITT," "Waldorf," and "LIP'S."

South Side of Crown Street, Between Temple and Church, New Haven, Connecticut, 1959
Buildings on the south side of Crown Street near the intersection with Church Street. A lighted restaurant sign reads in part, "American & Chinese Cooking." Other visible signs include, "BINGO," and 7/GABLES/ TOWNE HOUSE."